I teach high school seniors who are in the 2nd year of a two year culinary program at a career center. This means they spend half their school day at their traditional high school and half the day with me. About two-thirds of my students will go on to culinary school, while the remaining students will decide that food service is not the career path for them. I consider both outcomes as positive. Sometimes knowing what you don't want to do is as important as knowing what you do.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Welcome To My Kitchen



It must seem odd to start a blog based on my classroom in March, but I've been thinking about doing this for almost a year. If I put it off until August who knows what could happen.


First a little  history. My career began, though I didn't realize at the time, when I was 14 years old. That's when I was hired by Jack's as a summer employee. Jack's is a fast food hamburger chain in the south. I was trained in both front and back of the line, but was much too shy at that time to do the register well. I ended up in the kitchen working the fryers, and I loved it. It was followed by years of waiting tables, working banquets, working in prep kitchens, time as a front desk clerk, clerical work in sales and catering, food & beverage cost control, beverage manager, cafe manager, food & beverage director, gourmet food & cheese buyer, designing and opening a quick service restaurant, and then 10 years as a high school business teacher. I did manage to get a degree in hospitality management from Florida State University and completed the education courses required to become a certified teacher. When an opportunity arose to join the career center as a culinary arts teacher, it was the perfect blending of my two careers. I truly feel like I've found the perfect job for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chef M, checking out your blog :). I love to cook with friends. Hope I will learn some things!

    ReplyDelete